This is the 26th of 42 posts about the poems that carried me along the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage route in Aug-Sep 2016. On this (the 26th) day, I walked 17km from Rabanal to El Acebo.
I woke feeling raw and weak after the ordeal of the night before. Fearing I would not keep it down, I did not eat. What could I do but keep walking?
It so happened that today's path went up, and up. Up, in fact, to the highest point on the camino - the Cruz De Ferro. For years, pilgrims have been depositing stones there, as a way of representing the 'putting down' of some burden that they were carrying. There is a large wooden cross, now surrounded by a mound of stones so high you can climb it.
I began gingerly, grateful when I completed the 5km between Rabanal and the next village. I considered finishing the day there. But as I approached the village cafe, I found Susanna and Clare - the two Dominican sisters with whom I had shared the Dickinson poem the day before. Seeing them, I just felt home. I told them what I had experienced. They listened (you know, in the way that some people just can listen), and gave sound spiritual advice: drink Gatorade.
We walked together to the Cruz de Ferro, where they stopped to pray. They asked me what I would like to do - I read them the poem What you Loved, and explained that I was offering it to my father. I wrote out the last two lines, and tied them to the cross:
'Call to me, come to me, now at the end
Walk with me, life of my life, my friend.'
Shortly afterwards, as I was parting ways with Susanna and Clare, the Australian pilgrim who chose Desiderata walked past, and said, excitedly, 'I've just met someone who we think you'll like'. A few minutes later, I was introduced, and I did (like her).
In fact, in just a few days, my friendship with her would turn out to be one of the most enchanting, inspiring friendships of my life.
As we met, I asked her to pick a poem. So these were the first words that we shared:
Day 26 - W. B. Yeats – The Lake Isle of Innisfree
It so happened that today's path went up, and up. Up, in fact, to the highest point on the camino - the Cruz De Ferro. For years, pilgrims have been depositing stones there, as a way of representing the 'putting down' of some burden that they were carrying. There is a large wooden cross, now surrounded by a mound of stones so high you can climb it.
I began gingerly, grateful when I completed the 5km between Rabanal and the next village. I considered finishing the day there. But as I approached the village cafe, I found Susanna and Clare - the two Dominican sisters with whom I had shared the Dickinson poem the day before. Seeing them, I just felt home. I told them what I had experienced. They listened (you know, in the way that some people just can listen), and gave sound spiritual advice: drink Gatorade.
We walked together to the Cruz de Ferro, where they stopped to pray. They asked me what I would like to do - I read them the poem What you Loved, and explained that I was offering it to my father. I wrote out the last two lines, and tied them to the cross:
'Call to me, come to me, now at the end
Walk with me, life of my life, my friend.'
Shortly afterwards, as I was parting ways with Susanna and Clare, the Australian pilgrim who chose Desiderata walked past, and said, excitedly, 'I've just met someone who we think you'll like'. A few minutes later, I was introduced, and I did (like her).
In fact, in just a few days, my friendship with her would turn out to be one of the most enchanting, inspiring friendships of my life.
As we met, I asked her to pick a poem. So these were the first words that we shared:
Day 26 - W. B. Yeats – The Lake Isle of Innisfree
I will arise and go now, and
go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there,
of clay and wattles made;
Nine bean-rows will I have
there, a hive for the honey-bee,
And live alone in the bee-loud
glade.
And I shall have some peace
there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the
morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight’s all a
glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet’s
wings.
I will arise and go now, for
always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with
low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway,
or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart’s
core.
No comments:
Post a Comment